Sunday, July 5, 2009

Summertime Barbeque Salads




















I don't know many people who can't identify with the great pleasure of sitting outside either in someone's backyard, or in the park, or near the beach in the company of good friends and family, sipping delicious drinks, and enjoying barbeque, and the delicious classic accompaniments. Now that it is July, it was time to hit the barbeque with my husband. So, last Thursday night, I put together a nice cool Corn, Avocado & Tomato Salad, and my favorite- A classic style Potato Salad. I put these along side some skewers of BBQ seitan, squash, & crimini mushrooms. It was my first time making seitan from scratch which was very good and quite easy, but we'll save that for another day's blog. Anyways, pair this with a nice cold glass of Sauvignon Blanc, and what a great way to start off a summertime weekend!


I had scored a nice bag of mixed potatoes at the farmer's market that made for a colorful adaptation to my potato salad. The bag had a combination of fingerling, purple, and red potatoes, and all were miniature, and easy to quickly cut up. I roast my potatoes first, instead of boiling them, because I prefer the texture to be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I have always felt that the potatoes get a little mushy if you boil them, but if you prefer a softer texture, by all means you could definitely boil them briefly instead of roasting them! I also used Garlic Aioli (Wildwood) because it is my favorite vegan mayonnaise replacement, but you could use Vegenaise, Nayonaise, or anyother eggless mayonnaise that you prefer. And always use fresh (not dried) herbs! It makes a huge difference. Actually, I hardly use dried herbs in the summertime specifically, as fresh always just seems more appealing this time of year. Anyways, if you can, let the salad sit in the fridge for at least an hour or two before serving, to let all of your flavors come together. Enjoy!

  • 1 pound Small red potatoes, or fingerlings, purple potatoes, or combination of- chopped to 1/2-3/4 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • ¾ cup Wildwood Garlic Aioli, or other vegan mayonnaise
  • ¼ cup scallions , chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
  • ½ cup carrot or celery (or combination of both), finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning, or combination of garlic powder, paprika, and cumin

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combined chopped potatoes, olive oil, sea salt, and a grind of fresh black pepper. Toss well, and spread out evenly on a large baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until starting to barely brown, and are easily pierced with a fork. Let cool completely. Transfer to large bowl.

Add in fresh herbs, carrots/celery, lemon juice, and aioli (or mayonnaise) to the potatoes. Thoroughly combine, and taste. Add additional salt or pepper if necessary.

Transfer to the refrigerator to cool at least one hour before serving.

Serves 4

2 comments:

  1. I saw you on Supreme Master T.V. (actually first time I'd ever viewed it) and watched you make the Spiced Spelt Morning Porridge. It sounds great and is full of things I've always enjoyed (except spelt; never even heard of it until you). So I'll give it a try. Potato salad has always been a favorite of mine also. Ironically, I recently looked up a natural remedy for swollen glands (for a friend). They recommended an apple cider vinegar compress. I thought to myself, "That might be a good thing to have around, but then what else would I use it for in order to keep it stocked?" Now this recipe answers that question! I'll give it a try (though I'll probably use Hellman's; I'm vegetarian, but i do eat eggs) and let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, glad you like the recipes! I am not sure where you live, but if you have access to Wildwood's Garlic Aioli, I promise you will never go back to Hellman's again! It is soooo good. And you are right, Apple Cider Vinegar is a great thing to have around, you will be surprised how much you might use it. It is great even in salad dressings. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete