Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cashew Creamed Spinach with Gnocchi, Gardein, and SunDried Tomato Pesto


I decided to try something I had never tried, ever before. I have never had Creamed Spinach. As a matter of fact I had never had any "Creamed" food ( ie creamed corn, etc) until the other day I had Creamed Mustard Greens, and they were to die for. So, being that was at a vegan restaurant, I knew that I needed to make this deliciously wonderful dish at home, so that I could have it anytime! So, that is what I did, and man was it great.
I used my homemade Cashew Creme (a blended version of  cashews, lemon juice, water and salt) which is a wonderful dairy substitute, especially when you use the awesome vita-mix blender! I sauteed leeks and garlic, then added organic bloomsdale spinach that I got at the farmer's market. I sauteed the greens down and then added about a 1/2 a cup of my cashew creme. I seasoned this with nutmeg, salt and pepper and served it with vegan basil garlic gnocchi.
I also really wanted to make some sun dried tomato pesto. This included the tomatoes, of course, garlic, lemon juice, capers, basil, and pepper, all whizzed up in a food processor, but you should leave it a little chunky for texture. If it's too smooth then it's a paste more than a pesto. This has so much flavor, you really don't need any salt.
I smothered that on a Gardein "Chicken" Scallopini which I browned up in a skillet. If you haven't tried Gardein products, I highly recommend them! Even though I don't often use meat "analogs" because I really don't miss meat at all, Gardein makes a really nice tasting and textured product that is made mostly from real vegetables! Not overly processed and refined.
Monday night dinner? Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment