Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cranberry Orange Walnut Muffins

As I often do on Sunday mornings, this past Sunday I felt like spending some time in the kitchen baking up something simple and nice to nosh on during our traditional Sunday morning TV, paper, coffee and tea-a-thon. I happened to have an orange and dried cranberries on hand, so voila, cranberry orange muffins it was!
This is a simple recipe, so there isn't much to say... I adapted it slightly from Isa's recipe in Vegan Brunch. I made the muffin whole grain, a blend of flours as I often do to create complexity in flavor and texture. I also added a touch of cornmeal for texture. You can use fresh or dried cranberries, I used dried. They are especially yummy when glazed, which I did not show in my pic (sorry). BTW- I learned not to shoot foods the same color as my bamboo cutting board, on my bamboo cutting board. Lesson learned!

  • 1 ⅓ cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
  •  cup oat flour
  • ¼ cup cornmeal
  • teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons almond milk or other non dairy milk
  • 2 tablespoons orange zest from one orange
  • teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
  • ¾ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped, (you can also use fresh cranberries)
  • ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • dash almond milk, add 1 teaspoon at a time
Preheat oven to 350 (convection) or 375.

In a large bowl combine flours and cornmeal with sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Mix well and set aside.

In separate bowl combine orange juice, oil, milk, zest and extracts. Mix well.
Add in to dry ingredients along with cranberries and walnuts and mix until just moistened...
careful not to over mix.

Line your muffin tins with paper liners and fill each tin 3/4 of the way full with batter.
Bake for 23-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean. Let cool.

While the muffins are cooling mix the powdered sugar with non-dairy milk, one teaspoon at a time,
until you reach an icing consistency. Drizzle over the muffins and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!
    I wanted to stop by and say hi to a fellow MoFo'er. I'm going to be sad to se the month come to an end. I'm so glad I discovered you.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete