Monday, December 20, 2010

2010 Holiday Dish Roundup















So, the holidays are here and one of my all time favorite things to do is make the classics for my family, but of course make them vegan... yet equally delicious and satisfying. Now I don't go around advertising the fact that everything is vegan too much, because I want the holiday to be about each other and not about the food. However, I love being able to feed everyone a healthier alternative that will fill their plate with nourishing and delicious bites that allow us to be better to ourselves and the planet. I have found that even the most hearty carnivores at our table find these dishes delish.

Above you will see:

  • Cornbread Stuffing with Cherries, Leeks and Almonds
  • Field Roast wrapped in Puff Pastry
  • Candied Sweet Potatoes with Candied Walnuts
  • Green Bean Casserole made with Cashew Creme and Sun Dried Tomatoes
  • Classic Pumpkin Pie with Spiced Cashew Creme
Other favorites not photographed are: Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Mushroom Gravy, & Spiced Cranberry Sauce.

Now, I apologize because I have yet to type all of these items into recipes, which takes some time after I scratch down on scrap paper what I am doing while I cook, and then am left with the task of inputing that in my Mac recipe program.  However, I wanted to at least share this with you all now, as Christmas is just a few days away, hopefully you may find inspiration here for your upcoming holiday meal. If anyone is interested in a specific recipe, feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you. 

Other than that I will leave a few specific notes on my dishes:
1.) Cashew Creme is your friend. I make a large batch of it, to which half becomes savory (for the Green Bean Casserole- Cream of Mushroom soup died with the 80's!) The other half I add in agave nectar to whip into a delicious non-dairy topping with dessert. Cashew creme can also add a luxurious touch to gravies, casseroles, and pretty much everywhere where dairy may normally lurk.

2.) Who needs butter? Use Earth Balance- it has a salty richness, I guarantee nobody knows the difference. Pretty much all the grocery stores are carrying it now- check the natural foods section. 

3.) Make your own vegan cornbread for stuffing!

4.) Trader Joe's sells Fried Onions that are vegan. I didn't say they were healthy, but it is the holidays after all. 

5.) Field Roast sells their awesome seitan roasts wrapped in Puff Pastry but those things are elusive as heck. Couldn't find one anywhere. So, I bought Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farms is vegan- again, not healthy, but this is not everyday food) and wrapped my luscious field roast in that. I barely got a slice, because everyone else wanted it. 

6.) Pies are so easy to make vegan. Use earth balance or vegetable oil in the crust and the filling is a home run!

Remember- the best foods of the season are plant based. With a bit of creativity your holiday table can be healthy (mostly), guaranteed colorful, compassionate, and delicious. 

Merry Christmas all!




No comments:

Post a Comment